Department of Child Support Services - DCSS Home Click here to pay online 
by credit card or by check. 
It is convenient and safe. 
Skip Navigation Links Home > How the Child Support Process Works > Step 10: Close the Case

Close the Case

 Step 10 - Close the Case

The person who opened the case can request the case be closed if the child is not receiving public assistance. If the child is receiving public assistance currently, we are required by law to continue enforcing the support order. If the child has received public assistance previously, we are required by law to collect for any arrears that accrued while the child was receiving the assistance.

In addition to any requests received from the custodial party to close a case, our office may initiate the closure of a case if, among other things:

  • A current child support order no longer exists and less than $500 in past-due child support is owed.
  • The non-custodial parent has died and a levy on the estate cannot be enforced.
  • Paternity cannot be established because genetic tests exclude the man as the father.
  • The child is over age 18 and paternity was not established.
  • It is in the best interest of the child to close the case because of incest, forcible rape, or a pending adoption.
  • The biological father cannot be identified after strong efforts are made to identify him.
  • The non-custodial parent has no money or assets and is in prison without possibility of parole.
  • The non-custodial parent is permanently disabled with no attachable assets.

  • If closure of the case is initiated by our office, we will notify the custodial party in writing before we actually close the case. Additionally, we will review the case upon request of the custodial party prior to closing.