Department of Child Support Services - DCSS Home Click here to pay online 
by credit card or by check. 
It is convenient and safe. 
Skip Navigation Links Home > How the Child Support Process Works > Step 1: Open A Child Support Case

Open a Child Support Case

 Step 1: Open A Case

An application may be completed by a custodial party, non-custodial parent, caretaker, or legal guardian, or a referral may be submitted by the Transitional Assistance Department. Once the completed application or referral is received, a case will be opened. Both the custodial and non-custodial parties will each receive a case opening letter to notify them a case has been opened and provide them with the case number assigned to the case.

To open a case, select from the following options:

  • You may apply online by completing a Virtual Interactive OnLine Application (VIOLA)
  • You may download the application and print the Application for Child Support Services Packet
  • You may request an application by telephone by contacting our Call Center at (866) 901-3212.
  • You may e-mail a request for an application, with your name and mailing address, to
  • You may also request an application in person at one of our office locations.

  • Important: If you complete a paper application (i.e., not online) you must be sure to sign the application. Send the completed application and all accompanying forms to:

    Department of Child Support Services
    10417 Mountain View Ave.
    Loma Linda, CA 92354

    The application packet includes the following forms:

  • DCSS 0064 Notice of Child Support Services Program
  • DCSS 0642 Complaint Resolution – State Hearing Information
  • DCSS 0373 Simplified Application for Child Support Services
  • DCSS 0095 Confidential Paternity Questionnaire
  • DCSS 0055 Request for Support Services
  • DCSS 0049 Family Violence Questionnaire Cover
  • DCSS 0048 Family Violence Questionnaire
  • DCSS 0053 Visitation Verification
  • DCSS 0054 Health Insurance Information
  • FL-150 Income and Expense Declaration
  • DCSS 0569 Declaration of Support Payment History

  • Approximately 20 days after we receive your application, you will receive notification in the mail informing you that your case is open.

    When opening a case, you should gather as much information as possible. The more information you provide, the easier it is to establish paternity and collect support.

    Identified below is the information we will need when processing your case.

     Information About the Child
  • Each child's full name, address, and phone number
  • Each child's date of birth and copy of birth certificate
  • Each child's Social Security Number
  • Proof of paternity

  •  Information About You
  • Full name, address, and phone number
  • Date of birth
  • Social Security Number
  • Paycheck stubs
  • Name, address, and phone number of employer or former employer
  • Tax returns for the last two years, including W-2 forms and 1099 forms
  • Copy of existing child support orders, if any, signed by a judge and filed with the court
  • Marriage license
  • Divorce order or separation agreement

  •  Information About the Other Parent
  • Full name, address, and phone number
  • Date of birth
  • Social Security Number
    (You can find this by reviewing old pay stubs, income tax returns, credit or loan applications, bank checking or savings accounts, insurance or health records, or military or union records. If you don't have one of these documents, but your name was also on the form, you can usually obtain a copy by writing to the appropriate agency.)
  • Name, address, and phone number of employer or last employer, union or self-employment information
  • A recent photograph or description
  • Names and phone numbers of friends or family
  • Information about past involvement with the child
  • Names of any club or organization involvement
  • Information about assets
    (Cars, motorcycles, boats, RVs, investments, property, etc.)
  • Paycheck stubs
  • Bank statements for checking, savings, or other accounts
  • Tax returns for the last two years, including W-2 forms and 1099 forms