Children and Family Services
Home ] Up ] Frequently Asked Questions ] Who We Are? ] Heart Gallery ] Services ] Contact Us ] Mandated Reporters ] Events Calendar ] Making News ] CFS Business Reports ]

Foster Care

Who Are We?
Department Information
Questions & Answers
Reporting Child Abuse
Contact Us
What's New
Mandated Reporters
Heart Gallery
Learn More

Learn More


Recognize the Warning Signs

Nervousness around adults
Aggression toward adults or other children
Sudden, dramatic changes in personality or activities
Frequent or unexplained bruises or injuries
Low self-esteem

If you see these signs in any children you know, offer your help.



Foster Parenting Questions


  1. How do I apply?
    First, you must attend an Orientation Meeting. Call 1-800-722-4477 to find out dates and locations. The application process will be explained in more detail at these meetings.

  2. How much will I be paid?
    You, as a foster parent, do not get paid. For each foster child placed in your home, you will receive a foster care reimbursement to be used for the care, clothing and feeding of the foster child. The basic foster care rates currently range from $657 to $820 per month, depending on the age of the child. For children who have special requirements, there is a specialized care increment, $79 up to $840 per month, determined by the child’s social worker.

  3. How many children can I have?
    The number of foster children that can be placed in a foster home varies depending on the size and capacity of the home. California State Licensing Regulations set an absolute limit of six foster children in a foster home, with no more than two children per bedroom. Keep in mind you are responsible for all doctor visits, Court appearances, therapy sessions, etc as needed by each child.

  4. How soon will I get placement?
    It is difficult to say when you will get your first placement. Generally speaking, you complete the licensing process, receive your license, and have a Foster Care Home Study completed. Once these processes are complete, social workers can begin calling you to place a child.

  5. What are the age requirements to be a foster parent?
    California State Licensing Regulations require an applicant to be an adult who is at least 18 years of age. However, this is only one factor to be considered. We are also looking for a solid background in parenting children. Such a background is seldom, if ever, present in young adults. As a rule of thumb, we look for people who have attained at least ten years of adulthood.

  6. Do I have to be married? My boyfriend and I live together; is that O.K.?
    We are looking for a stable family-type setting in which to place foster children. This can be a single parent, married couple, or an unmarried couple with a stable relationship. Anyone living in the home over the age of 18 years must be involved in the approval process.

  7. Do I have to have a job?
    You must have a stable source of income to take care of your family. California State Regulations require that foster families must be able to meet all their family’s financial needs. AFDC/Foster Care cannot be used as income for this purpose.

  8. Can I work full time and have foster children?
    You may work full time and have foster children over the age of 5 years. We require that for children 5 and younger that an at home parent is available. Infants and toddlers need the full time care provided by an at-home mother. Additionally, foster parents who work full time usually are not available when social workers need to place children in foster homes; and, full time employment restricts the time foster parents are available to foster children for whom they provide care. Foster parents are also responsible for providing transportation to family visits, doctor visits, therapy visits as required by child’s needs.

  9. What kind of children are foster children?
    These are children who may be severely neglected, suffering from physical or sexual abuse and may have emotional problems related to their experiences. The children’s behavior may not be appropriate to their ages. Many of these children may also be behind in school and need someone to support and advocate for them in the educational system. Regardless of the physical and emotional problems with which these children must deal, they all need a safe, nurturing home environment.

  10. Do I need to have a car? Telephone? Extra bedroom?
    You must have a telephone and be able to provide transportation. Foster parents must have phone service and telephone numbers, (land line or cell) that are accurate and unblocked. Foster parents must be available to receive telephone calls for possible placement at all time.

    Foster homes must have safely operating vehicles that are insured and large enough to transport the entire family. Foster children will need to be taken for visitation with parents and other family members, to court, medical & dental appointments, school, and extra-curricular activities. If a foster parent does not have a valid driver’s license, they must present a feasible plan on how the children will be transported to necessary activities.

    Each foster child must have his or her own bed and may share a bedroom with only one other child. When sharing a bedroom, children over the age of five must be of the same gender.

    For more information about Foster Parenting call:

    909-891-3300 or 1-800-722-4477

    or write to:

    County Foster Care
    412 West Hospitality Lane
    San Bernardino, CA 92415

Up ] Frequently Asked Questions ] Who We Are? ] Heart Gallery ] Services ] Contact Us ] Mandated Reporters ] Events Calendar ] Making News ] CFS Business Reports ]

© Copyright 2003 Children and Family Services.  All rights reserved.
Designed & Maintained by ITSD, SB County